Hyslop Urges Constituents to Exercise Locally
Local MSP for the Linlithgow Constituency Fiona Hyslop is encouraging her constituents to stay local when exercising and walking dogs in West Lothian and to avoid any unnecessary travel that might help spread coronavirus.
Official advice from the Scottish and UK governments warns that people in West Lothian should not be driving somewhere with the intent of doing exercise or walking their dog – with new powers granted to police to enforce these regulations.
“Exercise is a really important way of maintaining your physical and mental health so leaving your homes once a day to exercise alone or with members of your own household, is fine providing you keep to the social distancing guidelines of remaining at least 2 metres away from other people.
“However it is vital that constituents stick to the once a day rule and only go outside for exercise and other essential unavoidable purposes such as buying food or urgent medical supplies, travelling to or carrying our essential work or providing care or assistance to others who require extra help.
“For those who have gardens, please make use of them and those who don’t please stay local when taking your daily exercise or walking dogs. We must not drive to beauty spots across the constituency to do this.
“This is essential to stop the spread of coronavirus. These measures are about saving lives and protecting our NHS. We all recognise how unusual these regulations are, and the Scottish Government will act to remove these restrictions as soon as it is safe to do so.”
Please use the following guidance in order to stay safe:
- stay local and use open spaces near to your home where possible
- do not travel unnecessarily
- you should only go outside alone or with members of your own household
- keep at least 2 metres apart from anyone outside your household at all times
- gatherings of more than two in parks or other public spaces have been banned and the police will enforce this
- if you have a garden, make use of the space for exercise and fresh air
- take hygiene precautions when you are outside, and wash your hands as soon as you are back indoors